Communications and Engagement Specialist
Founded in 1999, BuildDirect is an e-commerce provider completely disrupting the retail building products industry by bridging the gap between the manufacturer and end user. By simplifying the supply chain, solving a heavy freight shipping issue that plagued the industry and creating a proprietary data-driven platform that benefits manufacturers, partners and customers alike, BuildDirect customers ultimately enjoy up to 80% cost savings. The company is headquartered in Vancouver, B.C, with eight warehouse locations in the US and hundreds of thousands of satisfied customers. For more information visit www.builddirect.com. To view other opportunities, go to our careers page at http://newsroom.builddirect.com/work-at-builddirect/
You know how to identify and capture a great story. You have superior writing skills and you're able to position content to a variety of stakeholders whether it is through utilizing the company's social channels, speaking events or through consumer or trade media. Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Communications & Engagement Specialist is accountable for helping to manage the external profile and reputation of BuildDirect. You will contribute to the company’s overall communications planning and support the execution of media relations strategies for North America. You are focused on the development and implementation of social strategies, actively lead assigned channels and work cross-functionally with other social channel stewards to help BuildDirect achieve its overall business strategy.
- Create and implement measurable communication plans as assigned.
- Identify and implement storytelling opportunities achieved through BuildDirect’s social channels, speaking engagements or media relations to enhance the company’s brand identity and business strategy.
- Serve as the primary point of contact and overall engagement lead for social media activities from developing content relevant to various stakeholders to identifying how social media can complement other brand-related campaigns, promotions and community-outreach efforts.
- Monitor, analyze and report on BuildDirect’s social presence and impact of social media programs relevant to set objectives.
- Monitor social media trends, tools and applications as they relate to effectively supporting BuildDirect’s communications strategy.
- Assist in the execution of media relations strategies as required to enhance BuildDirect’s reputation and brand in North America.
- Write and edit communications materials such as news releases, media backgrounders, executive bios, presentations and video scripts plus other materials as required.
- Liaise with in-house and/or external designers/vendors to effectively project manage communication plans on time and within budget.
- Ensure consistent application of brand standards and effective brand reputation management.
- To conduct an internal audit of existing social media channels, their overall effectiveness regarding share, sentiment, reach and overall relevancy to BuildDirect’s audience groups in the first three months.
- To develop a social media plan that identifies scheduled content per channel and audience within the first six months.
- To identify thought leadership opportunities through traditional media, speaking engagements and social media in BuildDirect’s key, North American markets within the first six months.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of six years experience in public relations, marketing or journalism.
- Sound understanding of communication theory and ethics.
- Superior writing skills – from the creative (articles, posts, presentations) to the corporate (news releases).
- Demonstrated experience with social media as a professional communication tool and it can be incorporated into communications programs.
- Experience exercising judgment in dealing with sensitive situations unfolding via social or traditional media channels.
- Evidence of good working relationships with the media.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well alone or as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit.
- Proven ability to deliver projects in spite of delays or changes in direction.
- High levels of integrity and a commitment to do what you say you are going to do.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to juggle numerous projects simultaneously.
- Desire to learn and continuously improve.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations or journalism or equivalent work-related experience.